Monday, May 25, 2015

DIY picture frame earrings organizer

DSC_1377
What you need:
  • Picture frame: I found my frame at a yard sale for $5
  • Chicken wire: Homedepot - a roll (2ft by 5ft) for $6
  • Spray paint (optional): Homedepot - $4 a bottle
  • Wood strip - 1/2 inch thick: Homedepot, $1 for 8 ft wood strip, they will cut it to size for free, or an alternative would be paint stick. Make sure the wood strip's width is smaller than the frame's width or it will show from the front.
  • Wire cutter
  • Staple gun
  • Drill and drill bit
  • Screws
  • Wall mount or 3M command strip: If you don't want to put screws on the wall, then 3M command strip is for you
The frame I found was still in pretty good shape, therefore I didn't repaint it. First you need to remove the old picture and frame's back.
DSC_1335
The chicken wire comes in a big roll, I only use less than 1/2 of this
DSC_1337
Cut the wire to size (this will be the most tedious part of the whole project). The wire is silver, so I spray them with black paint. You can totally skip this step if you prefer silver over black. After spraying, let paint dry as directed. I choose spray paint because it dries very quickly, I would say maybe a few hours or so for it to fully cured. There is no need to clean your paint tray, your brushes, no mess at all. Of course you will need to do this outside in ventilated area and cover up the floor as well.
Staple the wire to back of picture frame, you can also use nails as well.
DSC_1351
Trim off the excess wire that went over the frame. You don't want to see this from the front.
Drill and screw wood strips to both vertical sides of frame. This creates space between your frame and the wall as you don't want your earring hooks to damage your wall. I also spray this with black paint so it looks like it's a part of the frame. One thing to keep in mind when you drill a hole: be careful not to completely drill through the picture frame, you do not want to see screws coming out of your frame.
DSC_1354
Use 3M command strips to hang up your earring organizer. This is what my earring organizer look like:
DSC_1377 DSC_1378 DSC_1389
I'm so glad I decided to makeover my closet. After I rearrange all my stuff I have a totally blank wall for just decoration. And I actually have a lot more earrings than just these in the picture (lol). So time to hang them all up and start using them instead of leaving them in a box.
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment