Monday, May 25, 2015

DIY drawer divider with foam board

 foam board divider
My husband messy boxers and socks drawer ><'
What you will need: Ruler, marking pencil, art knife, scissor, hot glue gun, tape of choice (I use electrical tape for its color and glossiness, $1.5 a pack of 3 at Walmart), and foam board (x2 at dollar store)
DSC_1232DSC_1233
My drawer size is 19"W x 13.5"D x 6.5"H
Sizes for cutting foam board: bottom base board is 19"x13.5", the long edge board is 19"x6" (cut 2 boards), the shorter edge board is 13"x6" (cut 6 boards), the shorter edge board is short 0.5" because you need to take the foam thickness into account.
Draw glue lines on the bottom base board and the long edge boards, I want to make 5 compartments for the drawer, therefore I divided the bottom board into 5 equal parts (not sure if you can see the lines I made, its a little hard to see with the black foam). It's up to you how you want to divide the drawer, so make your measurement before you start with gluing.
DSC_1235
Start by gluing one long board to base board, then glue in the short boards (red line is where I apply hot glue)
DSC_1236 DSC_1238
Finally, glue in the last long board
DSC_1239
Use electrical tape to cover white edges of foam board. This part is where you can get creative, you can use any kind of tape, fabric, paper as desired to match your closet.
DSC_1242DSC_1241
At edges, cut these tape up for nicer fold. And here is the result:
DSC_1243 DSC_1244DSC_1246
I can't believe how much more room I have after making my drawer divider. This looks so much better and more organized, I'm thinking of making these for my undies drawer as well, and maybe my craft supplies boxes. The best part is it costs me just $2 and about 1hr for the whole thing.
Hope this helps :) And thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment